AALL GATEWAY

Monday, July 10, 2006

Not all fun and games: Committee work


Contrary to what some employers may think, AALL conferences are a lot of work. When I am leaving for one of these meetings I'm told "have a nice vacation." I am quick to tell people there is no vacation included in my absence. Sure, I go to fun events in the evenings and I see a lot of friends and colleagues and get caught up on their lives, but the major work of the association is on the schedule for these few days.

I dared not to count how many committee meetings there were this year. Suffice it to say, between SIS groups, Chapters, Task Forces and what have you, there are many more meetings.

Often the meetings (as opposed to educational programs) are held at 7:00 and 5:00. A few other times are scatterd throughout the day with the revamped scheduling. But someone is still meeting at the crack of dawn. Ok, I exaggerate. But it's early.

Pictured is Phill Johnson, Chair of the Public Relations Committee, at his early morning meeting today.

1 Comments:

  • I'm not there this year, but I've been to many conferences where I was in committee or chapter meetings, education sessions, and evening activities literally from 7:00 am to midnight. I agree with Kathie, it is fun, but conferences are hard work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home